2024 Meeting Minutes

DCR Board Meeting Minutes July, 2024

Attendees:

Ed Felker - President
Emily Ranson - RBA / CBA
Jack Nicholson - Treasurer
Mike Binnix - Secretary
Kyle McKenzie
John Mazur
Mimo Demarco

Started at 7:01 pm

Ed - kicked off with a brief greeting and welcome to the second half of the year.

Ed noted that at the January meeting, 2025, that he will be term-limited from running again for the board and that board members should consider whether they would be interested in running for president.

Emily led the board in discussion of upcoming rides, with planning underway for the roleur populaires in September and October. She offered options for possible rides in July and August, including evening starts, if there is an interest among the board or members to organize an event.

Jack presented the treasurer's report as of the end of 2Q2024.  Trends for the year on expenses and income is close to plan, with slightly lighter participation numbers than plan, this has corresponded to slightly lighter income for rider fees and lighter expenses for food served.

Jack shared a few photos of his experience at the Colorado High Country 1200K.

Mike updated the board on the progress of the web team and the board briefly discussed how the board will exercise oversight of the web team's plans and activities going forward.

Ed led a board discussion on how or if DCR might opt to conduct a 1200K in 2026. Gardner Duvall has shared a concept of operations for an event he'd like to conduct. The board agreed to review and consider a route and business plan for the event at the next board meeting. Ed and Emily will discuss this with Gardner.

The meeting concluded at 8:35 pm

 

DCR Board Meeting Minutes June 3, 2024

Attendees:
 

Ed Felker, President
Emily Ranson, RBA / CBA
Mike Binnix, Secretary
Mimo Demarco
Kyle McKenzie
John Mazur

Meeting came to order at 7:05 pm

Ed on behalf of Jack Nicholson (Treasurer) reported that the 400K expenses under-ran the estimated costs.

Emily reported that the 600K went smoothly last weekend and offered kudos to Mimo for organization AND pre-riding.  The upcoming schedule of 200k and populaire events will be posted soon.

Mike briefed the board on the web team kickoff and progress. The volunteer team has been assembled with members who represent many of the skills we're likely to need. The initial work to define the website requirements and capabilities we need is under way.

The board briefly discussed the possibility of conducting a 1200K brevet in the future. No decisions or actions were taken.

The meeting concluded at 8:10 pm

DCR Board Meeting Minutes May 6, 2024

Attendees:

Ed Felker - President
Emily Ranson - RBA / CBA
Mike Binnix - Secretary
Jack Nicholson - Treasurer
Kyle McKenzie
John Mazur

The board meeting came to order 7:08 pm

Ed - reported on progress to form a web committee and some logistical details for upcoming rides.  Several members of DCR have volunteered to serve on a web committee to steer the process of defining and implementing a new web strategy.

Emily - reported in more detail on upcoming 400K and 600K preparations. She also shared a plan to reduce dependence on hotels to anchor 300K, 400K events as costs have increased significantly and availability has contracted.

Jack - reported on finances through April, costs and income are on plan compared to the annual budget with no significant deviations.

The board discussed next steps to wrap up the ride organizer's checklist, and the appropriate level of detail it should include.   Ed, John and Mimo will meet to review and revise it further.

Emily - briefed the board on RUSA's recent meeting with RBAs for web strategy.  At the meeting RUSA: 

  • confirmed the availability of an API for membership validation that operates in real time
  • requested that clubs adopt the RUSA electronic waiver
  • shared a few examples of other clubs' solutions beyond RideStats in order to facilitate some sharing between clubs of ideas and best practices. 
     

The board discussed some key requirements for the next generation of the club web strategy and agreed to convene the volunteers as a web committee. Mike will call and chair the meeting this month.

The board meeting adjourned at 8:10.


DCR Board Meeting Minutes April 1, 2024

Attendees:

Ed Felker - President
Emily Ranson - RBA / CBA
Jack Nicholson - Treasurer
Mike Binnix - Secretary
Kyle McKenzie
John Mazur
Mimo Demarco

Meeting came to order at 7:04pm

Ed shared a few thoughts on Matt Settle's legacy as an RBA and active member of DCRAND in its early days. The board observed a moment of silence and affirmed the club's best wishes and offer of support for Matt's family.

Ed briefed the board on the state of RideStats.  Ed, Emily and Mike participated in a call with the operator of the service and representatives of other Randonneuring regions using the service.  The operator shared that moving forward there will be no integration with RUSA. The club has taken steps to periodically download ride rosters and other important information as backups.  

The board passed a motion to form a new web committee of board members and other club members who may volunteer to define website objectives, research options, recommend and ultimately execute a plan to implement a new web presence for DCRAND.  The committee will be asked to provide the board an update on progress by the May board meeting and to propose a plan for a new web strategy by the June board meeting.  Mike has agreed to serve as the initial committee chair. The chair to be revisited once the committee is fully formed.

Emily briefed the board on upcoming brevet plans.  Hotels are becoming a significant logjam in planning 300K and longer events as prices rise and booking lead times increase.   Current events on the calendar for CY 2024 have viable options, but future schedules will likely require the club to make reservations as soon as possible after the schedule is approved.

Jack briefed the board on the club's financial standing through March 31, 2024.  The board discussed per-registrant food budgets. Jack has forwarded recommendations to the RBA for inclusion in the rider organizer checklists and guidelines.  

The board approved a motion to empower the treasurer, at his discretion, to move a portion of club reserve funds into a Certificate of Deposit that is FDIC insured and with terms for early withdrawal that do not put any deposited principal at risk.

The meeting adjourned at 8:24

 

DCR Board Meeting Minutes March 4, 2024

Attendees:

Jack Nicholson - Treasurer
Mike Binnix - Secretary
Ed Felker - President
Emily Ranson - RBA / CBA
Mimo Demarco
John Mazur
Kyle McKenzie

Meeting called to order by the President at 7:04 pm

Ed shared with the board that while no imminent changes are expected, some long-term changes may be coming to RideStats.

Ed confirmed he has completed the annual report to the Virginia Corporation Commission.

Jack briefed the board on the sum of financial transactions for the last month, the resulting changes in club balances and anticipated expenditures in the coming month.  The annual report to the IRS as a non-profit is complete.

Emily reviewed upcoming brevets and noted that the Fleche will again finish at the Arlington IHOP.  The board discussed options to change the currently scheduled 400K from Warrenton due to escalating costs and availability of hotels in Warrenton. No changes to the current schedule were approved for 2024.

The board discussed spending metrics for different ride lengths with the goal of providing ride organizers guidance in advance of each event.   Jack agreed to prepare some pro-forma recommendations for the board's future consideration.

Meeting adjourned at 8:10



DCR Board Meeting Minutes Feb 5, 2024

John Mazur
Mike Binnix - Secretary
Mimo Demarco
Jack Nicholson - Treasurer
Ed Felker - President
Kyle McKenzie
Emily Ranson - CBA / RBA
 
Ed called the Meeting to order at 7:34pm
 
Ed introduced and welcomed Kyle to his first board meeting.
 
The board briefly discussed strategies under consideration for revisions to web and social media communications.
 
Jack briefed the board on the January, 2024 financial results, pending expenses and pending actions to recertify DCRAND's non-profit status to the IRS.   
 
Mimo briefed the board on his project to re-write the ride organizer's checklist to reflect the changes the last few years to ACP and RUSA rules and evolving rider expectations.
 
Emily summarized upcoming events and ride organizers for each.
 
Ed briefed the board on plans to review the by-laws regarding the announcement and call for nominations of board vacancies, as requested by a club member.
 
The board approved the minutes from the General Meeting.
 
The meeting concluded at 8:51 pm       

==========================================================================================



DCR General Meeting Minutes Jan 20, 2024
 


The Annual General Meeting was held over Zoom due to significant impact to road conditions by the snow event of January 19, 2024.

The Meeting was called to order by President Ed Felker at 3:31 pm.

20 members participated by Zoom for all or part of the meeting.  Ed certified a quorum based on live participants plus online voting participation for board seats and the budget. See the roster of attendees below.
 

Ed introduced the election details and encouraged everyone to vote for board positions: Secretary, Treasurer and 2 At Large seats, plus the budget approval question. Voting will close online on Wednesday Jan, 24, 2024 and results published under separate cover.
 
Emily summarized the riding year for 2023 and the upcoming schedule for 2024        

Jack reviewed the proposed budget distributed to members by email ahead of the meeting, emphasizing:
  • budget surplus for 2023
  • cash balance at the end of 2023
  • the intent to draw down the cash balance in 2024
  • Fees have been kept flat, except for 100K events which will have no fee
  • Post-ride food will be reinstated for 200k brevets
     
Attendees made the following suggestions/requests to the board for future consideration.
  • Consider additional communication efforts to encourage volunteers to submit expenses for reimbursement of mileage and other direct costs incurred on behalf of the club and club events, and publishing written guidelines on what is reimbursable.
  • Consider hosting a safety presentation by a speaker who holds an appropriate credential such as from the League of American Bicyclists.
  • Consider hosting spring and fall social events that are not tied to specific ride events.
  • Can we offer riders the use of the designated hotel room for the ride organizer to let riders take a shower post ride on 300k+ brevets.
  • Do the by-laws adequately address the processes for nominating and electing club officers, the CBA, and nominating or recommending an RBA to RUSA?
Bill Beck moved to approve the budget and Mary Gersema seconded.  The vote was held by voice with unanimous approval by those in attendance. These will be combined with online results and announced once the online window for voting closes in a few days.        

Board Candidates: Mike, Kyle and Jack spoke briefly about what they hope to contribute as board members. John was unable to attend.        

The floor was opened for nominations.  No nominations were offered.        

Roger Hillas moved to approve the candidates as a block. Bill Beck seconded the nomination. The vote was completed with no objections. Final results will be published after the online voting window closes.        

Ed recognized and thanked:
  • all ride organizers from 2023
  • board member Chris Redinger who has completed 3 full terms and is now term-limited . 
  • Bob Counts for his service to the board. 
  • Gardner and Theresa for hosting the fall social
  • Gardner for acting as champion for the rollieur series.  
  • Emily for her services as RBA and CBA

The meeting concluded at 4:38 pm

 

Participants by Zoom:
 
Emily Ranson - RBA/CBA
Mike  Binnix - Secretary
Mimo DeMarco - Board Member
Bill Beck
Bill Smith
Kyle McKenzie - candidate for Board Member
Ed Felker - President
Chris Redinger - outgoing Board Member        
Roger Hillas        
Ben Swartz        
Leslie Tierstein
Tom Reeder
Gardner Duval        
Theresa Frunari        
Mary Gersema        
Jack Nicholson  - Treasurer        
Nigel Greene        
Andrea Matney
Justin Castillo        
Mike Wali


=============================================



DCR Board Minutes Jan 8, 2024

In attendance:

 
Ed Felker
Emily Ranson
Jack Nicholson
Mike Binnix
John Mazur
Chris Readinger
Mimo DeMarco
 
Meeting came to order at 7:15 pm
 
Ed informed the Board that Kyle McKenzie has volunteered to stand for election to the at-large position on the Board that will be vacated as Chris Readinger's term ends.  Mike Binnix (Secretary), Jack Nicholson (Treasurer) and Kyle will be up for election at the general meeting.
 
Ed and the entire board thanked Chris for his six years of service to DCRand!!          

The board discussed logistics for the general meeting.          

Jack summarized the financials for 4Q 2023 and the full year 2023.          
 

The Board voted to endorse the 2024 budget prepared by Jack for presentation to the membership for approval at the general meeting, and agreed that Jack and Ed will forward the document to members prior to the general meeting with a brief cover note describing the objectives for the club's reserves, post ride services, and other changes.          

Emily led a discussion of the 2024 ride schedule, ride organizer assignments and lodging logistics.            

The board approved the December, 2023 minutes.
 
The meeting concluded at 8:00 pm          

Minutes approved via email